- Departments L-V
Lost & Found
Charlottesville Area Transit (CAT) does not take responsibility for items lost or stolen on transit vehicles or in its facilities. All items recovered are kept at the Downtown Transit Station. After 48 hours, items that are considered valuable or contain personal information are taken to the Charlottesville City Police Department. All other items are held for 7 days.
Inquiries about lost items can be made by calling the Downtown Transit Station at 434-970-3649 and selecting option 3. The staff is available to take your call from 7 am to 8 pm. Monday through Saturday and 9 am to 5 pm on Sundays.
Your safety is one of our top priorities. To ensure an enjoyable ride for both you and the people around you, please follow these rules:
- Shirts, pants/shorts/skirts and shoes must be worn at all times.
- The active use of tobacco products (including e-cigarettes) is prohibited.
- The consumption of food and/or beverage is prohibited. Transportation of food and/or beverage is permitted if contents are properly sealed and unopened. Personal consumption liquids must be contained in a screw top container with the top in place. To-go cups with plastic snap tops and open aluminum cans are not allowed.
- Excessive noise, disruptive behavior, and/or profanity is prohibited. Passengers may be asked to leave the bus without a refund if their actions disturb or threaten the safety of the operator or other passengers.
- Aisleways are to remain clear during the duration of your trip.
- Headphones are to be used with all audio devices.
- Consecutive loop riding is prohibited.
- No other acts prohibited by law.
When traveling on a CAT bus, your starting and ending locations may not be served by the same route. To reach your final destination, you may need to connect to another bus. Transfers require the purchase of a 24-Hour Pass.
Transfers may be made at the following locations:
- Barracks Road Shopping Center
- Downtown Transit Station (If applicable, drivers may elect to drop passengers off at the Omni bus stop on Ridge McIntire Road to catch their route at the Omni bus stop on Water Street.)
- Fashion Square Mall
- Jefferson Park Avenue at Pinn Hall
- Jefferson Park Avenue at the University of Virginia (UVA) Medical Center
To request a transfer, alert your driver as you board. Please keep in mind that direct transfers are not guaranteed; you may need to wait a few minutes for your next bus to arrive at the transfer location.
Per Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) guidelines, service animals are allowed for persons with disabilities. Service animals are to be kept on a leash or in an approved pet container.
Unsecured objects brought onto buses by passengers, such as luggage, shopping carts, coolers, baby strollers, and even mobility devices, can become extremely dangerous projectiles in the event of a sudden stop if they are not properly secured, and cause serious injury to other passengers or the operator. All carry-on objects must be secured or stowed behind or under passenger seats. Object should not be allowed to block the aisle or stairway of the bus.
Passengers are not permitted to bring the following items onto CAT buses:
- Large/oversized objects
- Weapons/Ammunition (except as permitted by law)
- Hazardous, explosive, corrosive, or flammable materials
All CAT buses are accessible to persons with disabilities. Let your driver know if you need help getting on and off the bus. To ensure safe travels, all mobility devices are secured through the use of a four point tie down system.
Strollers must be folded and stowed during the bus ride. Properly stowed strollers shall not obstruct the bus aisle-way.
CAT buses are capable of kneeling to assist those with accessibility issues in boarding the bus. If you require the bus to be kneeled to assist with boarding, just ask the driver.
Charlottesville Area Transit is committed to providing reliable, safe, and satisfying transportation options for our community. Customers of Charlottesville Area Transit are the primary focus of our business and as such, their feedback is crucial to the growth and development of the agency.