The City provides curbside recycling collection for residents and businesses along the uptown/downtown corridor with additional source-separated recycling drop-off available for residents at the Rivanna Solid Waste Authority’s McIntire Recycling Center.
Learn More about the Waste Management Services offered by the City of Charlottesville
Curbside recycling collection is available for free to customers who also use the City's Trash Service. As part of the service, the City will provide a rolling cart for your recyclables.
Curbside Recycling Service Key Points
- Recycling is collected every other week, on the same day as your regular trash day.
- Three sizes of recycling carts are available. The default size is 95 gallon.
- Recycling carts can be requested, exchanged, and returned through the online Recycling Cart Request Form.
- How often will my cart be serviced?
- Where should I place the new cart on my pick up day?
- Can I request a smaller cart?
- Can I get more than one cart if I would like to recycle a higher volume?
- How much will it cost me?
- I live in a house shared by multiple tenants, will we each get a cart?
- I live in an apartment complex with a dumpster. Will I get a cart?
- My road is currently not maintained by the City of Charlottesville. Can this be changed?
- What do you do with the recycled items?
- What is the meaning of single-stream? I thought it meant you could combine trash and recycling.
- Why don’t you accept plastic bags?
- What about plastic lids and caps?
- What can I do with the items you don’t accept?
- Do you have a composting program?