Personal Property Taxes
- What types of personal property are taxable?
- How is personal property assessed?
- How is the amount of tax determined?
- What is proration?
- If I move out of Charlottesville or sell my automobile, will my tax bill be prorated?
- When is my personal property tax bill due?
- I have purchased a new vehicle and registered it at DMV. Do I need to obtain a City of Charlottesville decal?
- I have just moved into the City of Charlottesville, must I notify the Commissioner's Office?
- I sold or no longer own a vehicle or trailer, who do I notify?
- If I buy an automobile, whom must I notify?
- I am active duty military, am I liable for personal property tax in the City of Charlottesville?
- I am a full-time college student, am I liable for personal property tax in the City of Charlottesville?
The City of Charlottesville assesses an annual license fee on every motor vehicle, motorcycle, and trailer that is garaged in the city and has an active state registration. License fees are due on June 5 each year and are included on the personal property tax bill. If you have questions regarding the vehicle license fee, please call 434-970-3160.
Please note that these prices apply to vehicles that are not for hire or rent.
|Passenger Vehicle (4,000 Pounds or Less)||$28.50|
|Passenger Vehicle (4,001 Pounds and Over)||$33.50|
|Trailer (1 to 1,500 Pounds)||$10.00|
|Trailer (1,501 to 4,000 Pounds)||$20.50|
|Trailer (4,001 Pounds and Over)||$25.50|