Commissioner of Revenue
The Commissioner of the Revenue’s Office will be closed to the public on Monday, September 21st and Tuesday September 22nd for important all-day staff training events. Ongoing staff development allows us to better serve you, the citizens of Charlottesville. We appreciate your patience and will be available again by telephone, email, and by appointment for office transactions on Wednesday, September 23rd.
Starting on July 20, 2020, The Commissioner of the Revenue’s Office will be open from 9am to 4pm for in-person transactions by appointment only. Due to social distancing requirements and limitations on the number of staff who can be in the building together at any given time, controls intended to keep staff and the public safe will be implemented.
Appointments with the Commissioner of the Revenue’s Office can be made ONLINE or by phone at 434-970-3160.
Important COVID-19 Notice:
Due to the COVID-19 Pandemic the Commissioner of Revenues Office will be implementing the following customer contact policy until further notice:
- We will be open BY APPOINTMENT ONLY beginning on Monday, July 20, 2020. Schedule an appointment with us.
- Elderly and/or disabled applicants for Rental Relief who qualified in 2019 and who have not changed their address will be allowed to roll their application forward to 2020 without having to apply in person. You must notify our office that you want your 2019 application to be rolled forward. All other applicants must make an appointment to apply in person using the link above or by calling 434-970-3160. The due date for Rental Relief Applications is September 1, 2020.
We still recommend that all inquires should be conducted by phone or email whenever possible. See below.
- As always, business tax filings and payments can be made via US mail, online or at any of the drop-boxes located on 6th street, 7th street or the Drive-up box by the Key Rec Center.
Our Mailing address is:
Charlottesville Commissioner of the Revenue
P.O. BOX 2964
Charlottesville, VA 22902
- We are available by telephone or email for all inquires:
|Personal Property Tax||Business License Tax|
|Real Estate Tax Relief for Elderly and Disabled or Charlottesville Housing Affordability Program||Meals & Lodging Tax|
|Rent Relief for Elderly and Disabled||Short Term Daily Rental Tax|
|State Income||General Business Tax Inquires|
The Commissioner of the Revenue is the chief tax assessing officer of the local government. It is an elected office. The existence of this position is set forth in the Constitution of Virginia, and so is called a Constitutional Office. The Commissioner of the Revenue serves a four-year term at the pleasure of the voters.
Programs administered by the Commissioner of the Revenue include:
- Business License Tax
- Business Personal Property Tax
- Meals and Lodging Tax (AirBnB/HomeStay Operators)
- Personal Property Tax
- Real Estate Tax Relief
- Rental Relief for the Elderly and/or Disabled
- Vehicle License Fee
- Virginia State Income Tax