Community Attention Youth Internship
CAYIP COVID-19 Announcement: Winter Session 2022
The health and safety of our program participants, partners, and community as a whole is top priority. With this in mind, we will continue to offer an online platform of the Community Attention Youth Internship Program: CAYIP Virtual Learning Academy for Winter Session 2022. It is our hope to return to in-person programming as soon as it is safe to do so. **Winter programming dates have changed. Please see below.
- To teach workplace readiness skills.
- To assist youth in career exploration.
- To help youth identify their strengths and build resiliency.
- To connect youth to positive adults and to resources in the community.
- The Virtual Learning Academy will be held in a Google Classroom Platform.
- All participants will be assigned a CAYIP counselor who meets with the youth through a virtual platform a minimum of once a week.
- Youth will have online modules and two virtual classroom meetings a week. This summer, youth will have the opportunity to earn a performance-based stipend up to $120 per week (not to exceed $600 per session).
- Youth will explore topics such as effective communication strategies and active listening skills, conflict resolution, banking and budgeting, interview skills and strategies, career exploration.
- Youth will work with staff to complete a resume and final project at the end of the session.
- Virtual classroom meetings will offer course content and guest speakers from the community.
Application and Acceptance Process:
- The program is open to City of Charlottesville youth between the ages of 14-21.
- Youth will be able to apply now until Friday, January 7, 2022 at 5pm.
- Youth will need to complete a CAYIP Application which includes both the application questionnaire and an agreement to participate form. Please complete both forms.
- Youth and families are able to request a paper version of the form be mailed to them through the CAYIP Inquiries.
- This session of CAYIP will also have a smaller number of interns in the cohort than previous years.
- We will continue to monitor the situation for health and safety and respond as necessary.
CAYIP Virtual Academy Timelines: Winter Session 2022
- December 3, 2021 - January 7, 2022 5pm: Application submission window.
- December 17 , 2021- January 12 , 2022: Applicant interviews (These will take place through virtual platforms such a Zoom and WebEx. When necessary, accommodations will be made that are in compliance with health and safety guidelines).
- January 13, 2022 - January 14, 2022: Youth notified of acceptance
- January 18, 2022- February 20, 2022: The Virtual Learning Academy held in Google Classroom Platform.
Interested in Learning More?
Check out our CAYIP Video.