- Departments A-H
- Marriage License Information
Marriage License Information
To obtain a marriage license at our Circuit Court Clerk’s Office the following procedures are followed:
- Both parties need to be simultaneously present when the application is made although there is a special process available when one of the parties is incarcerated.
- Both parties should have a valid, non-expired government-issued photo ID such as a driver’s license, passport, or DMV issued ID card to present upon request.
- $30 fee payable by cash or check/money made payable to the City of Charlottesville Circuit Court.
When to Get a License
Please note that the license must be used or "certified" by the Officiant within 60 calendar days from issuance or the license will become void so you should not obtain a marriage license unless you plan to get married within the next 60 days from the date of issuance.
Marriage licenses are issued Monday through Friday, from 8:30 am to 4:30 pm at the Clerk’s Office where it will take approximately 10 to 15 minutes to complete the form at our Marriage Computer Kiosk followed by a review of the application and administration of the required oath by a member of our staff. You should plan to arrive by 4:15 pm to allow sufficient time to complete the process.
- There are no residency requirements and couples may purchase their marriage license at any Circuit Court in Virginia.
- The marriage ceremony must be performed in Virginia within 60 days after the license is issued. There is no waiting period required between application and issuance of the license and a couple may be married immediately after the issuance of a license.
- No blood test is required.
- For divorced persons, there is no statutory waiting period before marriage after the divorce is granted. A copy of the divorce decree is not required.
Justice of the Peace
Our office does not provide "Justice of the Peace" services at the Courthouse for immediate unions nor maintain a list of "Civil Officiants". You may call the City of Charlottesville Sheriff’s Office at 434-970-3777 if you do not have an "officiant" and desire to have them officiate your marriage.
Information Required For Marriage Licenses
- Full name
- Age and date of birth
- Place of birth (state or foreign country)
- Number of this marriage (first, second, third, etc)
- Marital status (widowed or divorced, if previously married)
- Education (highest grade completed)
- Names of both parents (first, middle, and maiden/last)