Outreach & Engagement
The Energy and Water Management Program (EWMP) supports efforts to help City staff implement energy and water efficient strategies and behavior in the workplace. The program uses education and outreach to City staff and those that utilize City facilities around what they can do and how their behaviors might have an impact on a buildings utility usage.
There are two primary outreach audiences the EWMP are supporting involving City staff and Charlottesville City Schools.
Outreach initiatives include checklists for offices to reduce their energy and water impacts, Better Business Challenge efforts for both City and School buildings, and partnership between the EWMP and Schools.
Better Business Challenge
The City of Charlottesville and Charlottesville City Schools are part of the current Better Business Challenge being hosted by the Community Climate Collaborative. The hope is that this challenge will not only help improve the performance side of the many City managed buildings but also encourage involvement from staff and students to change some behaviors.
Learn more about the Better Business Challenge on the Challenge Website.
Energy and Water Management in Charlottesville City Schools
Charlottesville City Schools and the City’s Energy and Water Management Team (EWMT) are working together to reduce the energy and water footprint of all City schools. On April 11th, 2019 the School Board approved an Energy and Water Performance resolution, showing a commitment to achieving and maintaining high performing school facilities.
The EWMT is working with each school to raise awareness about energy and water saving practices through education and outreach efforts that include distributing educational materials and providing tips and strategies that students and faculty can use to reduce the energy and water impact at our schools.
Each quarter a different theme emphasizes aspects of energy and water efficiency/conservation.
Climate Action Activity Kits for Walker Upper Elementary Students!
This Earth Day, 400 5th graders at Walker Upper Elementary School in Charlottesville received Climate Action Activity Kits created by the Community Climate Collaborative and the Virginia Discovery Museum in partnership with the City of Charlottesville's Energy and Water Management Program. The kits were designed to help students gain a greater understanding of home water and energy use and climate emissions, while connecting families to local energy and water-efficiency solutions.
The kit included an energy scavenger hunt and grown-up guide with information on local rebates and energy efficiency resources; plant your own herb garden/decorate a pot; a t-shirt with art materials to create and decorate a reusable grocery bag; a solar-powered night light; and a water leak detection activity. Kits were offered in both English and Spanish.
The City’s Energy and Water Management Program was excited to help bring these Climate Action Kits to Charlottesville City School students. EWMP have been working with Charlottesville City Schools on ways students can save energy and water for over a year and a half, and having the opportunity to provide a hands-on activity to further support the program’s message is instrumental in getting students to implement change at school and at home.
The 2021 - 2022 EWMP themes are all based around Turning Action into Savings!
Fall 2021 (September - November)
Now that you are back at school, it is time to take what you learned last year and apply it to your school!
Last school year you made up your own energy and water saving actions, did those actions at home, and learned how to make those actions be your new normal. Now as you return to school, we need you to bring your energy and water saving actions to the classroom. As a class, you can choose what energy and water saving actions will be your focus this year and come up with ways to make sure everyone won’t forget to do them.
Saving energy and water at school will help decrease our impact on the environment and help your school become greener!
- Make and put up reminders in your classroom
- Make a schedule for your class including your actions
- Make your actions easier to do in your classroom
Activity Sheet: Energy and Water Fall 2021 Activity Sheet (PDF)
You can read more about our programs join efforts on the Charlottesville City School’s Energy and Water Management Program Page.
Fall 2020 Activity Sheet
New school year, new commitment to save energy and water
- Only Use What You Need: Turn off the lights and faucet when you are done!
- If You See Something, Say Something: Report a water leak or an open door to an adult.
- Reduce Our Energy and Water Waste: Use a reusable water bottle and unplug electronics when not in use.
- K - 4th Grade: Energy and Water Fall 2020 Activity Sheet for Lower Levels (PDF)
- 5th - 12th Grade: Energy and Water Fall 2020 Activity Sheet for Upper Levels (PDF)
Winter 2020 - 2021 Activity Sheet
Put your knowledge into action- Pick an action that helps you save energy and water at home and at school!
- Start off small: Pick a small action like turning lights off as you leave a room or turning the faucet off when scrubbing your hands with soap (or choose your own!).
- Repeat, repeat, repeat: Do your energy and water saving action over and over again, each day!
- Grow your action: Expand your action to save more energy and water by including your family!
5th - 12th Grade: Energy and Water Winter 2020/2021 Activity Sheets for Upper Levels (PDF)
Spring 2021 Activity Sheet
How to make your new commitment to save energy and water stick so you remember to do your action every time!
- Reminders: Use reminders such as signs or notes where you need to do your action.
- Schedule: Schedule your actions into your daily schedule and make sure you give yourself enough time to do them.
- Make it Easy: Set yourself up to succeed by making it easy to do your action over the energy wasting or water wasting choice.
Summer 2021 Activity Sheet
Share and inspire others to save!
Share your creation with the Energy and Water Management Program or on social media (use the #CCSEnergyWater hashtag).
The Value of Energy & Water
- Last one out? Flip the switch!
- Turn the water off when not in use.
Understanding our Energy & Water Use
- Turn the lights off when you leave a room
- Make an effort to unplug personal electronics
- Turn the water off when not in use
- If you see a water leak or hear a running toilet, report it!
Reducing our Energy & Water Waste
- Keep outside doors closed
- Fill up your reusable water bottle with tap water
- If you see a water leak or open outside door, report it!
Student Summer 2020 Activity Sheets
Use these activity sheets to help you take what you learned around how to save energy and water at school and apply it at home!
- K - 4th Grade: Energy and Water Summer 2020 Activity Sheet for Lower Levels (PDF)
- 5th - 12th Grade: Energy and Water Summer 2020 Activity Sheet for Upper Levels (PDF)
Energy & Water Management School Activity Sheets
- Energy and Water Summer 2020 Activity Sheet for Lower Levels (PDF)
- Energy and Water Summer 2020 Activity Sheet for Upper Levels (PDF)
- EWMP CCS Fall 2020 Activity Sheet Lower Grades (PDF)
- EWMP CCS Fall 2020 Activity Sheet Upper Grades (PDF)
- CCS EWMP Winter 2020 Activity Sheet Lower School (PDF)
- CCS EWMP Winter 2020 Activity Sheet Upper School (PDF)
- CCS EWMP Spring 2021 Activity Sheet (PDF)
- EWMP CCS Summer 2021 Activity Sheet (PDF)
- CCS EWMP Fall 2021 Activity Worksheet (PDF)