FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
May 28, 2021
On May 28, 2021, at approximately 12:07 a.m., officers of the Charlottesville Police Department responded to reports of heavy gunfire in the 100 block of Elliewood Avenue.
At the time of the shooting, an officer who was already on scene, witnessed the suspect firing a fully automatic weapon. The officer pursued the male, who fled on foot, and arrested him inside a bar on Elliewood Avenue. The male is identified as Rahiem Ladu Bolden, a 28-year-old resident of Albemarle County and he is charged the following:
- 18.2-290, Use of a machine gun for aggressive purpose
- 18.2-56.1, Reckless handling of a firearm
- 18.2-280, Discharge firearm in public spaces (12 counts)
- 18.2-154, Shooting at train, car, vessel, etc.
- 18.2-248, Possession with intent to distribute a controlled substance
- 18.2-308.4, Possession of a firearm while in possession of a controlled substance
Officers and forensic personnel recovered one of the weapons and processed approximately 40 shell casings from the scene. Remarkably, no injuries were reported.
This case remains under investigation. Anyone with information can contact the Charlottesville Police Department at (434) 970-3280, or Crime Stoppers at (434) 977-4000. A reward of up to $1,000 is available for information leading to an arrest.
Every person is entitled to a presumption of innocence until their guilt is proven beyond a reasonable doubt.
Public Information Officer
Charlottesville Communications Office