FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
April 1, 2021
Charlottesville Parks & Recreation Announces Reopening Plans for Facilities and Programs
CHARLOTTESVILLE, VA – Charlottesville Parks & Recreation is pleased to announce the reopening plans for facilities and programs for the next few months. The reopening of facilities are subject to change and contingent on the rehiring of staff to operate the facilities. Parks & Recreation is actively recruiting, hiring and training staff for the reopening and operations of it facilities.
For more information about reopening, COVID-19 safety information, registrations, and reservations, please visit www.charlottesville.gov/parksandrec.
Current Parks & Recreation Programs and Facilities/Amenities Open
- All City Parks and Trails
- All Playgrounds on City or School Property
- All Outdoor Basketball Courts on City Property
- All Picnic Shelters: Open Daily
- All Tennis Courts: Open Daily
- Athletic Fields: Leagues and Instructional Programs are Permitted
- Charlottesville Skate Park: Open Daily
- Meadowcreek Golf Course: Open Daily
- Recreational Programs: Outdoor recreational programs as well as virtual group fitness and adaptive programs
Future Parks & Recreation Programs and Facilities/Amenities Reopening
The following facilities and/or changes to Parks & Recreation programs will occur in April:
- April 1: Picnic Shelters and Tennis Courts are available for reservation
- April 1: Basketball Courts – Competition and pick-up games allowed
- April 10: City Market opens as a Drive-Thru Model with pre-order and pick-up at 100 Water Street parking lot in Downtown Charlottesville. Online sales open on April 5.
- April 12: Summer Camp Registration Opens for City Residents
- April 19: Adult Softball League Registration Opens
- April 26: Adult Volleyball League Registration Opens
The following facilities and/or changes to Parks & Recreation programs will occur in May:
- Carver Recreation Center, Crow Recreation Center and Indoor Pool, Key Recreation Center and Tonsler Recreation Center will reopen. Date is to be determined.
- City Market transitions from a drive-thru model to an in-person shopping experience. Date is to be determined.
- May 10: Summer camp registration opens for Non-Residents.
- May 29: Washington Park Pool opens for the summer season.
Facilities Remaining Closed
The following facilities will remain closed until Center for Disease Control (CDC) and/or Virginia Department of Health (VDH) guidelines change:
Onesty Family Aquatic Center
- Current VDH guidelines would not permit this facility to open due to the interactive play features in the pool.
- Current VDH guidelines do not allow opening of spray grounds.