FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
April 29, 2022
Hazard Tree Removal
CHARLOTTESVILLE, VA- The City of Charlottesville Parks and Recreation will be removing trees at the following locations:
- Intersection of McIntire Road and West High Street (removing 6 dead Ash trees)
The trees scheduled for removal have been infested by the Emerald Ash Borer, and will continue to pose a hazard for vehicular traffic and pedestrians. Ash trees are particularly dangerous after being infected with this invasive pest because their dead limbs are exceptionally brittle and can easily fall or break during wind/weather events. Being the proximity of the trees to travelers (both in vehicles and pedestrian), the City of Charlottesville has scheduled these removals in as timely a manner as possible. Additionally, there will be replacement plantings of site appropriate trees in the Fall of 2022 or Spring of 2023. New plantings will be a diverse mix of tree/shrub species that will provide future services for shade and aesthetics.
- Tree work will occur May 2nd-4th, between the hours of 8:00 AM - 4:00 PM.
- Flaggers will be onsite to direct traffic, all travelling vehicles should expect traffic delays.
- Belmont Park (removing 3 dead Oak trees)
- Tree work will occur May 5th and 6th between the hours of 8:00 AM - 4:00 PM (weather permitting).
- Work zones will be flagged with caution tape. Walkers and park recreationists should be alert and aware of tree work in the area and exercise caution around work zones.
Questions regarding the project should be directed to (434) 970-3021.