FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
June 4, 2020
Charlottesville Parks & Recreation to re-open some parks and recreation facilities between June 8-15, 2020
CHARLOTTESVILLE, VA - As we enter Phase 2 of Governor Northam’s “Forward Virginia” plan to continue safely and gradually easing public health restrictions while containing the spread of COVID-19, the City of Charlottesville is planning to re-open some parks and recreation facilities between June 8-15, 2020.
Facilities/Amenities TO BE OPENED between Monday, June 8 and Monday, June 15th
As specific facilities are re-opened, we will update the list on the City’s Coronavirus web page, make announcements on the Charlottesville Parks & Recreation website, and through our social media accounts.
- All Playgrounds on Park or City School Property
- All Tennis Courts and Picnic Shelters
- Parking Lots at the Following Parks: McIntire Park, Pen Park, Tonsler Park and Washington Park
- Meadowcreek Golf Course
- Charlottesville Skate Park
- All Outdoor Parks and Trails. Utilize physical distancing of at least 6 feet apart while using parks and trails.
- Dog parks
- Sugar Hollow Reservoir - OPENS Friday, June 5th
Facilities/Amenities REMAINING CLOSED
As conditions change during Phase 2, the City will continue to explore the possibilities of re-opening additional park facilities and amenities that align with the required safety precautions. The following remain CLOSED:
- All Indoor Recreation Centers and Pools
- All Outdoor Basketball Courts (NOTE: This is due to the Governor’s limitations on recreational sports and the requirement of 10 feet of physical separation between participants)
- Park Restrooms
- Downtown Administration Office
- Swimming Pools
- Spray Grounds
- Registered programs at closed facilities are canceled until further notice. Some programs and/or virtual programs may be able to be added on a limited basis at a later date. All special events and summer camps for the summer season are canceled.
- City Market To-Go will continue to operate in the pre-order and drive-thru model.
Updates about facilities, classes/programs, and events will be on our website at www.charlottesville.gov/parksandrec and through our social media accounts. If you have questions, you can send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org or call (434) 970-3260.
Director of Communications
City of Charlottesville