FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
January 27, 2023
City Assessor's Office Completes 2023 Reassessment
CHARLOTTESVILLE, VA – Of the 15,148 taxable properties, residential parcels increased by an average of 11.52%. Commercial properties (including apartments, retail, office, industrial, and vacant land) increased by an average of 12.16%. When residential, commercial, and new construction are averaged together, taxable properties in the City increased by 12.33% in 2023.
Additional details of this year's figures include:
• Assessments for existing residential property increased in value by 11.52%
• 97.97% of residential assessments increased in value, 1.12% decreased, and 0.90% did not change
• Assessments for existing commercial property increased in value by 12.16%
• 83.62% of commercial assessments increased in value, 3.22% decreased, and 13.16% did not change
Combined existing residential and commercial property increased in value by 11.78%. New construction value included for 2023 is 0.56%. When new construction and reclassifications are added to the value of the existing property, the total value of property in the City increased by 12.33%.
General FAQ's about the City Assessor's Office and assessment process can be found at: www.charlottesville.gov/assessor
The City Assessor's Office can be contacted via telephone at 434-970-3136, Monday-Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Charlottesville City Assessor