FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
July 15, 2022
City of Charlottesville Approved as VEEP Sustainability Partner for 10th Year
CHARLOTTESVILLE, VA - For the 10th year in a row, the City of Charlottesville is honored as a Department of Environment Quality (DEQ) Virginia Environmental Excellence Program (VEEP) Sustainability Partner. The City received this recognition for accomplishments in 2021 for upholding a strong environmental record going beyond legal requirements.
The VEEP Sustainability Partners track is designed to encourage organizations across Virginia to make environmental sustainability part of their culture through leadership, innovation, and continual improvement. Organizations must demonstrate this commitment through measurable and verifiable conservation efforts, leading to direct and indirect improvements in energy usage, water usage, waste generation, and other environmental benefits.
Projects highlighted in Charlottesville’s VEEP application:
- Collaborative efforts that occurred through the “Climate Action Together” with Albemarle County and the University of Virginia.
- Collaboration with community partners to deliver 400 climate action kits to the entire City of Charlottesville 5th grade class.
- Solar systems on local government and school buildings that surpassed 2 gigawatt-hours.
- 2021 Better Business Challenge recipient.
- Recently updated urban tree canopy assessment.
- Pollocks Branch Walkable Watershed Process planning and design work for a bridge which will be used to provide a pedestrian crossing at Pollocks Branch.
“This approval is in recognition of the numerous significant environmental achievements the City of Charlottesville has made to date and the ambitious sustainability goals you have set for the future”, said Meghann Quinn, Office of Pollution Prevention Manager.
Kristel Riddervold, Environmental Sustainability Manager, adds “It’s a real honor to work with partners within the organization, within the community, and within the region to further our sustainability mission. We are committed to building on this momentum. “
For more information about the City’s Sustainability Initiatives, visit charlottesville.gov/GreenCity.
For more information about DEQ’s VEEP, visit www.deq.virginia.gov/get-involved/pollution-prevention/virginia-environmental-excellence-program.
Environmental Sustainability Manager
City of Charlottesville