Updated - June 4
Please see the updated list below of facility/amenity changes, closures, and cancellations.
Statement Regarding Closing/Opening Decisions:
The decisions to close/open Charlottesville Parks & Recreation facilities/amenities are not solely based on State or Federal guidelines but is made through the collaboration between Charlottesville Parks & Recreation, City Management, and City Council by evaluating factors such as public safety and health, operational expenses and staffing. We understand these decisions may be disappointing for many residents but we are hopeful that the City will be able to re-open some or all of our recreational facilities at a later date if public health risks subside and/or the City’s financial outlook stabilizes.
Facilities/Amenities TO BE OPENED between Monday, June 8 and Monday, June 15th
As specific facilities are re-opened, we will update this list and make announcements.
- All Playgrounds on Park or City School Property
- All Tennis Courts and Picnic Shelters
- Parking Lots at the Following Parks: McIntire Park, Pen Park, Tonsler Park, and Washington Park
- Meadowcreek Golf Course
- Charlottesville Skate Park
- All Outdoor Parks and Trails. Utilize physical distancing of at least 6 feet apart while using parks and trails.
- Dog parks
- Sugar Hollow Reservoir - OPENS Friday, June 5th
Facilities/Amenities REMAINING CLOSED
As conditions change during Phase 2, the City will continue to explore the possibilities of re-opening additional park facilities and amenities that align with the required safety precautions. The following remain CLOSED:
- All Indoor Recreation Centers and Pools
- All Outdoor Basketball Courts (NOTE: This is due to the Governor’s limitations on recreational sports and the requirement of 10 feet of physical separation between participants)
- Park Restrooms
- Downtown Administration Office
- Swimming Pools
- Spray Grounds
- Registered programs at closed facilities are canceled until further notice. Some programs and/or virtual programs may be able to be added on a limited basis at a later date. All special events for the summer season are canceled.
- All City parks and trails (see list of park amenities closed above). Utilize social distancing while using parks and trails.
- The City Market has switched to an online ordering and pick-up model. For more information, please visit the City Market landing page.
Dog Park Guidelines
Dog parks are still open but are limited to only ten (10) people at a time in the fenced-in area until further notice.
Customers affected by the program/event cancellations will receive additional information from Charlottesville Parks & Recreation regarding refund options.