The Citizen’s Police Academy is a program created by the Charlottesville Police Department that will educate those that attend of the operations of the Charlottesville Police Department. Class lectures will be conducted by members of the Police Department including Command Staff, Detectives and Officers in specialty units. Past participants have found this program both informative and rewarding.
The following is a list of topics that may be lectured once a week for three hours:
- Introduction and Overview of the Department / Department’s Strategic Plan / Visions and Values
- 21st Century Policing
- Criminal Justice Reform
- Field Operations Division
- Support Services Division
- Administration Division
- Firearms/Use of Force
- Investigations Bureau/Forensics
- Jail/Public Defender’s Office
- Recruitment and Hiring
- Emergency Communications Center (911)
- Role of the Commonwealth Attorney
- Crime Prevention
- SWAT / Crisis Negotiations
To register and for more information please contact Lieutenant Robert Haney at 434-970-3683. The date for our next academy has not yet been announced but please continue check this page for future updates.
The Citizens Police Academy is sponsored by the Charlottesville Police Foundation.