Plans in Development & Review
Comprehensive Plan Update, Zoning Ordinance Re-Write & Housing Strategy
On October 31st, 2019, the City of Charlottesville contracted the services of Rhodeside and Harwell, Incorporated, to undertake the update of the Comprehensive Plan (including a Housing Strategy) and Zoning Ordinance Rewrite. This process – called Cville Plans Together – is being tracked on a project website, Cville Plans Together. The first phase of community engagement is happening in May/June 2020.
Draft Form-Based Code - DE - SIA
In early 2017 the City engaged the Form-Based Code Institute (FBCI) as a contractor to write a form-based zoning ordinance for Phase 1 of the SIA. Visit the website of the Form-Based Codes Institute to learn more about Form-Based Codes.
- Visit the Form-Based Codes Defined website
- Draft - Form-Based Code - DE-SIA - December 2019 Update (PDF)
Cherry Avenue Small Area Plan
Late in the summer of 2016, City Planning Commissioners designated the Cherry Avenue Corridor for the next small area planning initiative. The Commissioners cited several factors that influenced their decision to focus efforts on this area:
- Stresses on the neighborhood/corridor from commuter traffic
- Large approved development under construction, anchoring the east and west ends of the corridor
- Large numbers of vacant lots with potential for development along the corridor
- The ability to utilize the groundwork laid by the neighborhood in developing a Visioning document dated May 12, 2016.
Visit the Cherry Avenue Small Area Plan website.
Starr Hill Small Area Plan
In February 2019 the City executed an agreement with the New Hill Development Corporation to develop a small area plan for the Starr Hill Neighborhood which incorporates the former historical community of Vinegar Hill.
View the Draft Starr Hill Small Area Plan (PDF).