Small Business Relief Grant Summary
City Delivers $750,000 in Relief to Small Businesses
The City of Charlottesville Office of Economic Development (OED) is pleased to announce that 128 small businesses have received funds from the Small Business Relief Grant (SBRG) program. The program received 200 qualified applications between July 13th and July 17th. See the full list of businesses here (PDF).
Of those successful applicants 73% qualified to receive $5,000 with the remaining 27% eligible to receive $10,000. The grant amount is directly related to the size of the business.
51% of recipients identified as business owners who are socially disadvantaged (i.e., those who have been subjected to racial or ethnic prejudice or cultural bias because of their identity as members of a group) and 38% identified as minority-owned city business owners. Additional demographic information can be found below.
View the full list of Small Business Relief Grant Recipients (PDF).
The SBRG was created to help small businesses that have endured significant business interruption due to the required closures caused by the COVID-19 pandemic.
All City-based, small businesses were eligible to apply for grant funds. Preference was given to industries that have been recognized as being the most impacted by COVID-19 including: hospitality and entertainment, retail trade and employment, restaurant and food services, and administrative support services. In addition, one-half of the total number of grants were designated for businesses that are owned by individuals who are socially disadvantaged (i.e., those who have been subjected to racial or ethnic prejudice or cultural bias because of their identity as members of a group).
The Small Business Relief Grant is funded with $750,000 of the City’s Coronavirus Aid, Relief, and Economic Security (CARES) Act funding. Should additional CARES dollars be made available to the City, a second round of business relief funding may be possible.
Interested businesses should check back here to stay informed on a possible second round of funding and other assistance programs.
Self-Reported Demographics of SBRG Recipients:
|2%||American Indian or Alaskan Native|
|10%||Asian / Pacific Islander|
|16%||Black or African American|
|59%||White / Caucasian|
|6%||Multiple ethnicity / Other|
|3%||Prefer not to answer|