ELECTORAL BOARD MEETINGS:
The next Electoral Board Meeting is scheduled for Tuesday, June 7, 2016 at 5:30 PM in our office. Our office is located in the Charlottesville City Hall Annex, 120 Seventh Street NE, Room 142.
Any person, who wishes to receive email notifications of Electoral Board meetings may make a request by emailing their name and preferred email address to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please use the subject line "add to EB notifications."
All polling places will be open from 6:00 am until 7:00 pm on Election Day.
Last day to register to vote or update registration: October 17, 2016 (by 5:00 pm)
Look up your voter registration status and polling place online, apply to register or update your registration at https://www.vote.virginia.gov/.
Absentee Voting for November 8th Presidential Election
Absentee voting at the City’s Voter Registration Office in the City Hall Annex will be available September 23, 2016 - October 29, 2016 during office hours, 8:30 am to 4:30 pm, Monday – Friday.
Absentee voting is also available at the City Voter Registration Office on two Saturdays, October 29, and November 5, 8:30 am - 4:30 pm.
Do you need an absentee ballot mailed to you? (Or emailed or faxed, if you are an absent military or overseas voter?) Your absentee application may be submitted up to a year before the election.
Our office will start sending out ballots to qualified applicants on or before September 23, 2016. Applications for ballots to be mailed/emailed/faxed must be received by the voter registration office no later than Tuesday, November 1, 2016 at 5:00 PM (7 days before election day). But, don’t delay! Your voted ballot must be received by the office by election day or it cannot be counted. Allow plenty of time!
You must be a registered voter in the City of Charlottesville to vote in Charlottesville elections. The office does not have ballots for other localities. Apply to the locality where you reside and are registered.
Voters must present one of the following forms of identification when voting in person, either absentee in person, or at the polls on election day:
- Virginia DMV-issued Driver's License
- Photo ID issued by the Commonwealth of Virginia
- Photo ID card issued by a local Virginia government
- Employer-issued photo ID
- Valid US Passport
- Photo ID issued by the United States
- Student photo ID from a Virginia college or university
- Student photo ID from a Virginia public or private high school
- Free Virginia voter photo ID card
If you don’t have one of these forms of identification please visit your local voter registration office for a free Voter ID card.
Need to Register?
In order to vote in Virginia, you must be registered. The deadline to register to vote is 21 days before most elections. The deadline to register for the November 8, 2016 Presidential Election is Monday, October 17, 2016 . For specific information about who is eligible to register and vote in Virginia and how you can register to vote, click here.
Already Registered but Moved or Changed Your Name?
If you are already registered but have moved or changed your name you need to update your registration. The deadline to update your registration is the same as that for registering to vote.
Need to Check your Registration?
You can check your voter registration status here to see if you need to register to vote or to update your registration.
Need an Application?
There are several ways to register to vote or update your voter registration:
- Information and registration forms for persons living overseas or in the military are available at www.fvap.gov.
- Residents with a Virginia driver's license or DMV-issued ID card may register online at https://www.vote.virginia.gov/
- Mail in applications are available at http://www.sbe.virginia.gov/Files/Forms/VoterForms/VoterRegistrationApplication.pdf, as well as all City libraries and post offices. DMV and other agencies also have paper applications. A full listing of agencies that have paper applications is available at http://sbe.virginia.gov/index.php/registration/how-to-register/.
- In person at any General Registrar’s office. Our office is located at 120 7th St. NE Rm. 142 and is open Monday-Friday, 8:30 a.m.-4:30 p.m. Please contact us at (434) 970-3250 if you have questions or need assistance.
Special Voter Registration Drives by the Voter Registration Office
VOTER REGISTRATION STAFF:
Jim Nix, Secretary
Lower Level, City Hall Annex
120 7th Street, NE, Rm. 142
Charlottesville, VA 22902
Office of Voter Registration
P.O. Box 1219
Charlottesville, VA 22902
(434) 970-3250 - Voice
(434) 970-3249 - Fax
Regular Office Hours - 8:30am - 4:30pm