Are you considering renovating or adding-on to your home? If so, look into the City of Charlottesville Tax Abatement Program below.
To take advantage of the program you need to meet the following guidelines:
- Structure must be at least 25 years old.
- Total assessment cannot exceed $553,700.
- Must be owner-occupied, single-family residential (attached/detached accessory apt. allowed as defined by NDS).
- Additions and/or renovations must add at least 15% in value to the property's improvements as determined by the City Assessor's Office.
- Must have filed for building permit PRIOR to abatement application.
- Application must be filed BEFORE any demolition or construction begins.
- At the time of application, Assessor's Office must inspect property BEFORE and AFTER construction.
- Improvements must comply with all building and zoning regulations.
- If approved, tax exemption will run for a period of seven (7) years, or as long as the property is owner-occupied, whichever is less.
- If a property is sold, abatement is transferable as long as the above requirements are maintained.
- Applicant pays a nonrefundable filing fee of $50.
Applications are available from the City Assessor's Office:
City Hall, Room 320
605 East Main Street
Charlottesville, VA. 22902