The City provides a wide variety of Boards and Commissions that encourage members to participate in discussions that affect and shape the future of our City. We believe it is not only the right, but the responsibility of interested and capable citizens to become engaged in local government policy by advising the Mayor and City Council on important community-related issues. Serving on a Board or Commission is an excellent way to make a personal contribution to Charlottesville's growth and can be a rewarding experience for everyone!
The deadline to submit an application is February 21, 2019, unless otherwise noted.
City Council is currently accepting applications for the following openings:
- Building Code Board of Appeals (posted 2/22/18)
- Charlottesville Albemarle Airport Authority (Joint City/County Appointment) (posted 12/11/2018)
- Charlottesville Albemarle Airport Commission (Joint City/County Appointment and City Representative) (posted 12/26/2018)
- Community Development Block Grant Task Force (Rose Hill Neighborhood Representative) (posted 10/10/17)
- Charlottesville Economic Development Authority (CEDA) (posted 1/23/2019)
- Community Policy and Management Team (Private Provider Representative and Parent Representative) (posted 4/5/16)
- Housing Advisory Committee (Banker Position, Developer Position & Citizen At-Large) (posted 10/9/18)
- Human Rights Commission (posted 10/19/18)
- MACAA Board (posted 11/16/18)
- PLACE Design Task Force (CAT Advisory Board Representatives) (posted 2/12/18)
- Police Civilian Review Board (CRB) (posted 11/29/18)
- Retirement Commission (City of Charlottesville Employee At-large and City Resident ) (posted 9/13/18)
- Tree Commission (low-income neighborhood representative) (posted 1/8/2019)
- Vendor Appeals Board (posted 8/30/15)
- Youth Council (posted 3/29/18) CLICK HERE to download the Youth Council application.
CLICK HERE to download an application to serve on a board or commission. Preference is given to residents of the City of Charlottesville.
Once you have downloaded and filled out the application form, please send to firstname.lastname@example.org, or send via mail to P.O. Box 911, Charlottesville, VA, 22902, ATTN: Clerk of Council - Boards & Commissions.
Charlottesville City Council reviews applications on a quarterly basis after an opening has been posted for a minimum of 30 days, unless a deadline is posted otherwise and/or Council determines a vacancy needs to be filled sooner. The review schedule for 2019 is as follows:
- March 4, 2019 Council Meeting - deadline to apply is February 21, 2019
- May 20, 2019 Council Meeting - deadline to apply is April 26, 2019
- August 19, 2019 Council Meeting - deadline to apply is August 9, 2019
- November 18, 2019 Council Meeting - deadline to apply is November 8, 2019
For more information about Boards and Commissions, please e-mail email@example.com or call the Clerk of Council's office at 434-970-3113.