For media inquiries or questions regarding press releases, please contact:
Charlottesville Office of Communications
Brian Wheeler, Director of Communications
To watch live streaming video of Charlottesville's Own TV10, the City's news and information channel, click here
Announcing City/County Sandbag Distribution
This is a joint press release from the City of Charlottesville, Albemarle County and the University of Virginia as part of the activation of the regional Emergency Operations Center
Albemarle County and Charlottesville would like to thank Luck Stone of Charlottesville for their generous donation of sand.
- Sand and sandbags will only be provided to residents of Albemarle County and Charlottesville (please, no business use).
- Citizens are advised to bring a shovel and a friend to assist with filling the 50-pound string-tied bags.
- A limit of 10 filled sandbags per vehicle.
- Wheelbarrows are available to assist with loading filled sandbags into vehicles.
- In addition, sandbags (without sand) are also available for purchase from Martin Hardware Co. and Southern States. Allied Concrete has sand and pre-filled sandbags for purchase.
- Create an emergency kit so you are able to shelter-in-place safely and comfortably. Please remember your four-legged friends!
- Property owners and property managers can reduce the possibility of flooding by keeping all conveyances clear of debris and other obstructions. Remove debris from stormwater grates, inlets, the upstream ends of open pipes and culverts, and the outfall structures of detention basins and ponds. Remove fallen tree limbs and other debris from channels upstream of pipes so this material doesn’t wash downstream and clog the pipes.
- For the latest weather information, visit: https://www.nhc.noaa.gov/#Florence